Saronno-Milano S1 line help

Trenitalia, Trenord, TILO

Moderators: Hallenius, teo

Saronno-Milano S1 line help

Postby sinisa » Sat 08 September 2012; 14:25

Hello,
sorry of my English, i don't know Italian (still) :oops:

I'm staying in Saronno for a few days, need to go to Milan.

As i saw on internet, S1 suburban line will get me to Milan. What station in Milan is best for sight seeing (in what station should i exit the metro, Lancetti, P.Garibaldi, Repubblica, P. Venezia etc) :?:

Also, what is the ticket price in one direction from Saronno to Milan?

Thanks for help 8--)
sinisa

Re: Saronno-Milano S1 line help

Postby max90 » Sat 08 September 2012; 14:38

Hello,
sorry for my (bad) English.

From Saronno to Milan there are:
- S1 line, that go to "Passante"; there is a train every 30 minutes, every day, from 6 am to 24 pm; with this train, you can reach Garibaldi station (connection with underground M2), Porta Venezia (connection with M1) and Rogoredo (connection with M3).
- S3 line, that go to "Milano Cadorna"; there is a train every 30 minutes, every day, from 6 am to 21 pm; at Cadorna Station, you will find the underground, lines M1 and M2.

For further informations, you can go to:
- http://www.trenord.it (train timetables, for S1, S3...)
- http://www.atm-mi.it (this is the site of the society that do urban service in Milan)

This is the map of underground service:
http://www.nbts.it/milano/MM_Milano.gif
The ticket has a price of 1,50€, and you can use it only in the urban area. If you want to go to the centre of the city, you should use the underground station of "Duomo" (M1 or M3).

PS (not a serious thing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2uDyzxP6g
max90

Postby facce » Sat 08 September 2012; 15:38

A ticket 2nd class from Saronno to Milan costs 2.75€.
The 1st class costs 4.10€.
facce

Postby max90 » Sat 08 September 2012; 16:01

Note that on Suburban Lines (S Lines) there is ONLY the 2th class.
Regional trains (R Lines) have 1th and 2th class.
You can go to Milano Cadorna also with R lines; tickets and prices are the same, but R lines don't stop in many stations, so the trip is a bit short.
Because there are many trains to Milano Cadorna at Saronno Station, you can take the first train with this destination.
max90

Postby sinisa » Sat 08 September 2012; 16:57

Great, thanks guys :clap:

So if i want to go from Saronno to Milan Piazza Duomo, i would:

- take the S1 at Saronno,
- exit S1 at Porta Venezia,
- take the M1 at Porta Venezia,
- exit the M1 at Duomo

is that correct?
sinisa

Postby friedrichstrasse » Sat 08 September 2012; 17:01

Yes, it's correct.

Anyway I'd suggest to take the S3 or the regional trains to Cadorna station: you'll get in the city centre, next to the castle, and from there you can walk along the pedestrian zone to the Duomo (about 1 km).
Viva il tram moderno

BASTA CENSURE!!!
friedrichstrasse

Postby sinisa » Sat 08 September 2012; 17:15

That sounds even better-i'd pay only S3 ticket, without taking metro train, exit at Cadorna station, then walk to Duomo :idea: 8--)

Cool :clap:
sinisa

Postby facce » Sat 08 September 2012; 18:18

You can even take a Regional to Milano Cadorna and take the M1, or Malpensa Express to Milano Centrale and the M3.
The prices are the same.
facce

Postby GLM » Sat 08 September 2012; 19:15

qualcuno mi spiega perchè gli state consigliando tutti i suburbani? :?
Non sono previste fermate intermedie
GLM

Postby Federico_2 » Sat 08 September 2012; 20:18

However I suggest to use regional trains (not S1 or S3) because the price is the same but they are faster. Saronno has a lot of regional trains to Milano Cadorna and then u can go to Duomo by M1 (5 minutes) or on foot (15-20 min)

U can use regional trains only from 6 am to 9 pm.
- S1 line, that go to "Passante"; there is a train every 30 minutes, every day, from 6 am to 24 pm; with this train, you can reach Garibaldi station (connection with underground M2), Porta Venezia (connection with M1) and Rogoredo (connection with M3).
- S3 line, that go to "Milano Cadorna"; there is a train every 30 minutes, every day, from 6 am to 21 pm; at Cadorna Station, you will find the underground, lines M1 and M2.

It isnt correct
S1 works from 6 am to 9 pm. S3 from 6 am to midnight
14 giugno 2009: il giorno quando i primi treni andarono con un solo agente di condotta
Federico_2

Postby max90 » Mon 10 September 2012; 14:21

It isnt correct
S1 works from 6 am to 9 pm. S3 from 6 am to midnight

Ops... You are right!
max90

Postby Lucio Chiappetti » Mon 10 September 2012; 17:19

sinisa wrote:So if i want to go from Saronno to Milan Piazza Duomo, i would:
- take the S1 at Saronno/Porta Venezia, take the M1 at Porta Venezia/Duomo

If I were you, I'd take the first train bound to Milan, be it an R or an S, wherever it goes.

R and half of the S take you to Cadorna, which is in the centre, within walking distance (or bus/tram connection) from sights like S.Maria delle Grazie (and Leonardo's Last Supper, but you must book for it), Museo della Scienza, S.Ambrogio, S.Maurizio and Archeological Museum, the Castle and its museum etc. Also Cadorna offers interchange with M1/M2.

The other half of the S go in the Passante (i.e. they fork at Bovisa from the other S). Here stops of some relevance may be Porta Garibaldi (which offers connection to M2) and Repubblica (which offers connection to M3) as well as Porta Venezia (which offers connection to M1).

M2 inbound from Porta Garibaldi will carry you again to Cadorna, but you can stop en-route or change with surface transport. Porta Garibaldi station is outside the centre (the actual Porta, i.e. gate of the spanish walls, is in P. XXV Aprile, down Corso Como which is a nightlife area, but for the rest does not offer much. If you stop at Moscova you can walk pedestrianized Corso Garibaldi (see churches of Incoronata and S.Simpliciano), at Lanza you are on the other side of the Castle, and near to the Brera area (with the famous painting gallery). Some modern architecture near Garibaldi station itself.

M2 outbound will lead you in 2 stops to Stazione Centrale (main railway station). The same occurs with M3 outbound from Repubblica. This is useful if you travel by long distance trains, or have to catch coaches to airports.

From Repubblica M3 inbound takes you to piazza Duomo and beyond. You might want to take a tram from Repubblica and do the route on the surface and see the medieval wall gate in piazza Cavour - via Manzoni and some of the houses. Or stop at Montenapoleone and explore the fashion shopping area (or visit the Museum of Milan in S.Andrea). The same stop on the other side (via Borgonuovo) takes you to the back of Brera, or you can walk along via Manzoni (Poldi Pezzoli Museum) towards piazza della Scala.

From Porta Venezia M1 outbound is not interesting, but corso Buenos Aires is a major shopping area (walk up to Lima or Loreto and then back by metro). M1 inbound takes you to the centre. If you are interested in liberty style, there are some houses very near (via Malpighi). Otherwise walk towards the centre, corso Venezia has nice XVIII century buildings (also some liberty ones behind via Cappuccini/Mozart, and palazzo Sommaruga on the corso itself, near Palestro stop). Also near the Natural History Museum and the villa Belgioioso (with Modern Art Museum, which means up to end '800, and nice neoclassic garden). From S.Babila stop you can walk corso Vittorio Emanuele (shopping area) to the back of Duomo.

Other sights in the Porta Ticinese area are reachable walking or taking trams 15 or 3, like S.Lorenzo (a 5th century central plan church, with byzantine mosaics in a couple of chapels and roman columns in the front, also noisy nightlife, and a nice rubber stamp shop), the medieval gates and S.Eustorgio (with a very nice medieval tomb in Cappella Portinari, and the Diocesan Museum, there should be a combined tickets for all 3 sights).
Beyond Porta Ticinese there is the Navigli nightlife area along the two canals (the westernmost of them, Naviglio Grande, is also within walking distance from M2 Porta Genova). Once these canals surrounded all the medieval city. A rest of the first lock (with an inscription of Leonardo's times) can be seen in via Conca del Naviglio (close to Porta Ticinese), while a waterless but intact lock is visible at the end of via S. Marco, in the area of Porta Garibaldi, but not so obvious to go without walking).
“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
― Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Lucio Chiappetti

Postby skeggia65 » Mon 10 September 2012; 17:43

Here you are Lucio, our official Baedeker! :D
Articolo 21
Tutti hanno diritto di manifestare liberamente il proprio pensiero con la parola, lo scritto e ogni altro mezzo di diffusione.

Anche se "alea iacta est": Freedrichstrasse!

Se la musica è troppo alta, tu sei troppo vecchio.

Nella vita nulla si deve temere; si deve solo comprendere. Maria Sklodowska Curie
skeggia65

Postby max90 » Mon 10 September 2012; 20:06

Se avessi dovuto scrivere tutta quella roba in inglese probabilmente il forum mi avrebbe deloggato in automatico per prolungata inattività dell'utente prima di riuscire a cliccare su "Invia". :mrgreen:
max90

Return to Treni regionali e suburbani